Thursday, March 18, 2010

Plastic, plastic, everywhere

I have reduced my trash down to two items - kitty litter and plastic.

I think I can solve the kitty litter problem this summer. We have switched the cats to compostable litter along time ago. We were using wheat for awhile but didn’t find it as odor absorbing as the claims, so we are trying pine but the cats don't seem to like it as much.

This summer I'll try to set-up a worm composter specific to the litter only or try the green composter recommended for this purpose, along with meat, cheese and other non-vegetable compostable. So I believe kitty litter will not be a problem long term. If these don't work maybe I'll install an electric composter for it but I'm looking for a low cost, low energy, low impact local solution first.

The problem is plastic, not bottles but packaging.
It sneaks up on me when I'm not looking and that is all too often.

Bagels bought in bulk were frozen in plastic bags, the local chicken and duck we bought was wrapped in plastic. I caught myself covering the leftover canned cat food in a reusable plastic "hat" - will replace this with waxed paper, waxed with honey bee wax instead.

Even though we are steady users of cloth shopping bags we always have a plastic grocery bag to line the bin. I need to be more diligent on this with everyone coming in and out of here.

Lately I have started to use a lot of the vegetables we bought from the farmers market and grew in our garden last summer. We froze them, meats (wrapped in plastic from the farmer that grew and sold it at the market) leftover soups, crepes, and waffles in vacuum packed plastic bags. Many of these can be reused until they are too small to reseal in but they are still plastic and eventually end up in the landfill. I have frozen some in canning jars but there is always the risk of breaking in the freezer when being sorted and moved around and they take up much more space - the vacuum sealer works on them, so that's nice. The vacuum sealer can be used on special plastic resealable containers but ... they are still plastic.

I'm working on it. The goal is to be plastic free in the winter of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment