Monday, March 22, 2010

Reusable, washable tissues and cotton balls ... why not!

There is this great moment in the movie "All of Me" with Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin when the sick and fragile millionaires, Edwina Cutwater, plucks one or two lacy handkerchiefs from a gilded tissue box to wipe her face. I'm pretty sure they were not rewashed and reused but it was a novel concept at the time and I have always remembered it.

Things are looking up in the reusable arena. Surfing the web I just found reusable tissues and cotton balls made of organic, fair trade cotton. These can be washed, reboxed (for guests?) and reused like standard tissues available today. I have tried carrying around a hanky and most of them are too big so I moved to a more feminine hanky/doilies but they were just too beautiful to mess up. Most cloth is too thick or just nose unfriendly. I don't wear make-up but for those that do I'm sure a reusable cotton pad would be helpful. After they are no good they fall into the rag cloth and compost categories for me. The adventurous company starting this movement can be found at: www.betterforgrownups.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, here is a website that sells washable facial tissues with a two chambered box: One for the clean mini-hankies and one that stores the the dirty ones until you're ready to wash them! www.sleevesecochiefs.com

    ReplyDelete